Thursday, November 18, 2010

Lost Your Job? Relax!

When I lost my job, I slightly panicked, updated my resume, got online, and started applying. This is the WRONG approach. If you are doing this, please stop. Below are some tips on how to handle your first few days in your new job, finding a job. You need to develop some structure around you approach to your search. Taking the time to do this work during the early days of your job search will increase the chances of you getting the job that you want in the time you want.
Over the next few days I will be posting some tips on how to handle the early days of unemployment. The first thing you need to do is relax.
Relax
Losing your job can be traumatic. When I recently lost mine, my wife was 7 months pregnant with our second, we were a few weeks away from closing on our first home, and I was in grad school. My career counselor gave me the best advice … “Relax, take a deep breath, everything will be fine…your life is not going to stop.” She was right. Because of my stress I wasn’t thinking clearly. How can you make the right decisions if your head is foggy? And who is going to want to hire someone with a chip on their shoulder? You aren’t going to be pleasant to be around. Take a minute and enjoy your new freedom. It won’t be long and you’ll be back to the 8 to 5. And let’s be honest, the American working life ain’t that great anyway. Enjoy being away from it while you can. Take a day (or two) and just don’t do anything. You aren’t going to get a job tomorrow (or the next day). Relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jobs by Careerjet